Thursday, July 19, 2012

Joy vs. Happiness

What is joy? What is happiness? Is there a difference? Where do they come from?

According to dictionary.com…
Joy. Noun. A feeling of great pleasure and happiness.
Happiness. Adjective. “A feeling of pleasure or contentment”, satisfaction, confidence.
 
What makes you happy? Being with your friends? Chocolate? Sleeping in? Going on vacation? Reading a good book? All of those things make me very happy! But they’re temporary.

What about joy? Does it come and go? The answer to that question is no. Joy comes from God, and joy never leaves. Unlike happiness, joy is not dependent on circumstances. It is something you have not something you simply feel.

Nehemiah 8:10 says “…do not grieve, for the Joy of the Lord is your strength.”

We can have joy in knowing that God has saved us. We can have joy in knowing that there is someone who loves us enough to die for us. We can have joy in knowing that His love will never change, that He will keep his promises, and that He will be there for us when no one else is.

Many times, in my life and in the lives of others, I’ve seen people want happiness. Besides, who doesn’t like feeling happy? But I think we need to be sure we know the difference between joy and happiness. People often place their happiness in circumstances, people, and things. Now, don’t get me wrong! I’m not saying any of that is bad in any way. But I am saying that our joy should not be dependent on our happiness. That’s something that I myself really need to work on. I want people to look at me and see joy, regardless of the circumstances I am facing. Romans 15:13 says, “May the God of your hope so fill you with all joy and peace in believing that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound and be overflowing with hope.” I want people to see that I am filled with Joy that comes only from God!


Emily

1 comment: